Tuesday, January 21, 2014

On and Off Debate of Dance Moms

For the past years, from the beginning of its premier, I've watched and still love to watch Lifetime's reality TV show--Dance Moms. The talented group of girls, Abby's controversial teaching methods, and the moms complaining and drinking cocktails, this show is quite something to watch--or, entertain myself from these "real life" dramas. I've even liked the show on Facebook, and through social media, I've been observing the comments that people post, or should I say, "trying to make a strong definition of who is good or bad" comments of the show. Well, I have seen enough of people's complaints of unfairness that Abby Lee Miller (the owner of the dance company) gives to the dancers, which mom is being the best, and above all, the question that we all must know, "who really is the best dancer in the group?" I personally am not a dancer, but I am a musician--violinist, who is able to relate to the people in the show.

Abby Lee Miller is commonly known as the tough and "abusive" dance choreographer/teacher to the girls. But, she stands tall in the ground--disregarding people's complaints about her teaching methods due to the reputation that she, her mom, and the company--Abby Lee Dance Company holds: the number of national titles that her students won and former students being hired in a top competitive and professional dance jobs. I must say that she has the right to be proud and push those girls based on the reputation that she and her mom has built for last 20 or so years. But, does that mean that she has the right to yell and make her students cry? For the past 10 years of learning the violin, I've had many different types of instructors. I had on teacher who was super duper nice about everything I did, one teacher who was super annoying because she was tough with the littlest things, and my current instructor, who sets high standards but doesn't yell, but rather makes me have the motivation and responsibility to do better. All teachers have different styles, but there was one teacher that I will never forget. She was my middle school orchestra director, and she was one of the most challenging person that I had worked with. She resembles Abby Miller in a way too. She was intimidating, shouted time to time, and she wanted one thing from me and the other students--winning and being able to survive in the real professional world of music. Although I've spent some time crying and being frustrated with her music class (in Abby's world: her studio her world), I grew confident, and I was able to grow as a young professional musician. Abby yelling to her students is not abusive in my opinion. Actually, I don't even know if she yells all the time because camera/tv only shows the parts when she's yelling so that the show can be dramatic and entertaining. Abby is yelling to correct her students, and I am positive that in a world of professional art industry, coaches and directors will point you out in front of people. Currently I am in a symphony orchestra, and my director does shout your name out if you are not doing the right stuff. It is very embarrassing, and in order for this to not happen or for the students to not cry and whine during this possibility of embarrassment, Abby is preparing her girls by reminding them about mistakes and what other professionals may do to her students in the future. In that sense, Abby's famous words, "Save your tears for the pillows" is right. And yes, "everyone is replaceable." In a professional world, no one is going to wait for a dancer to get back in the game. The show must go on and there are thousands of talents that can be replaced to save time and money. But, Abby's abusive teaching is not the controversial part, it is the game of playing favorites to the girls and moms. The question that I really want to ask to Abby is "why just Maddie to compare? Aren't there other students that you can brag about too?" One thing that I don't understand is the reason why Abby must compare "the one and only" Maddie to other girls. Why can't she compare her former dancers too or other talented girls in other age category? Maddie winning all the trophies, holding national titles, and etc is one of the reasons why Abby loves her so much. According to Miller's words, she says that Maddie brings the performance to another level by putting her emotions instead of only getting the techniques hammered with points during competitions. I truly think that other girls are missing the point of performance or art. I think that art is best when it is felt, and when you give your whole soul and passion to the performance. Cliche as it may sound but it actually works--I know how emotions are useful during my music performance. So be like Maddie when performing? No...I think Abby should change her words "dance like Maddie" to "dance to the fullest to win." It's impossible to perform or create art like how another person does; it's like duplicating a work, and like my art teacher saying, "Paint like Monet!" Am I the only one who thinks that way? I think it was season 2 after-show gathering, when Abby discussed about her game of "favorites," and Holly mentioned how her favoritism is not professional. But then, Abby quickly defended herself by saying that high school has valedictorian and salutatorian. Abby, those top two students in high school are not picked based on favorites, but through GPA. If Maddie were to have a GPA in her studio, I'm pretty sure she would be the valedictorian because of all those national titles and etc. But just like how many winners or top students are placed in dance studio or school, the ranking of students are capitalistic. More a student can afford, he or she is more likely to do better on tests, exams, and etc. Well, same as Maddie...I think she is able afford (not just the money wise but her mom's sneaky kiss-up to Abby and etc) private lessons and attention from Abby, and so she is able to do better than others. Is that justice? That's the question. I personally think it's not right that Maddie gets all the attention, however, the moms yelling, screaming, throwing cocktails and using nasty language need to stop because a student must earn the attention by showing enthusiasm and motivation. So, is Chloe not working hard enough? I think she is working hard, but I think she must work harder to gain attention from Abby because of Darwin's survival of the fittest. But I must say, even in professional world, favorites are always present. The moms need to get over it,  and they need to learn how to be classy and play the game safely. I know how moms act because my mom was once a strong music asian mother. But, asian mothers were cold throats--they were sneaky snakes.

So........the question that we must make a decision, who is the best dancer?
I don't think there is "the" best dancer, but there are good dancers in Abby's studio. Each dancer has different styles that he/she can perform best. I can play classical and romantic era songs better than baroque period music. And, I suck at Jazz! But regardless, I still must learn how to master the basics of those genres that I suck to prepare for the professional world, which is what Abby is doing to the girls. So moms...stop asking Abby to choreograph the perfect or well-suited dance for your child.

As for picking the "best" mom, I think all moms lack in two things: patience and quietness. Well, except Holly, but who knows...

I love dance moms because it's not just about entertainment, but I can analyze further. Anyone in need of more cocktails by watching Christi and Leslie's huge and abusive fight?

No comments:

Post a Comment