Tuesday, July 30, 2013

How I Started the Violin

The passion for classical music--specifically violin, grew when I was in junior high. However, it never came to my mind that I was able to perform or learn the violin with eager. Before I realized that I had some musical talent and motivation to do better with it, I first wanted to learn the flute and continue learning visual arts and soon become the next young artist. I won art competitions and got multiples of art awards in elementary school...so why not? But then, third grade came, and it was time to make the decision of orchestra, band, or chorus. I then checked flute next to band sign-up sheet, but quickly, with the control-freak eager of a typical asian mother, my mom changed it to violin in orchestra--string group! I hated it and I said, “I will never continue this crap!” From fourth through sixth grade, I hated the violin, and I was desperate to give my 20-dollar rented violin away. Then one Christmas orchestra concert, I was the last chair in a violin section, and I think I made about 1000--or more--like billions of mistakes. As the audience applauded and we, the orchestra group stood, I saw my mom’s face. She wasn’t mad--but, she had the face of 'good-job' and 'forgiving' face. So then, I decided that I wanted to make her proud. I know! Such a mama’s girl--right? The summer before becoming 7th grade, I practiced hard and later, I became the concertmistress and that’s how my passion for violin grew! Then I realized that back then, I hated accepting challenges. But now, I say, “hey let’s have more challenge.”

Are you ready to accept challenges? I know. It's frightening because we are so fearful of failures.

No comments:

Post a Comment